Since our founding in 2010, the Shawnee Mission Post has become the area’s most turned-to source for community news. As we embark on our second decade, we’re planning to provide even more coverage of Johnson County — a vibrant, growing area that has the largest population and strongest economy in the state of Kansas.
And we’re going to need some more talented people to help us do it.
We’re looking to bring on a deputy editor to:
- Help design and execute the organization’s overall editorial strategy
- Work directly with reporters on assigning stories and setting our daily editorial budget
- Edit stories and approve them for publication
- Produce daily email newsletters for our subscribers
- Manage our social media feeds and interact with readers online
- Moderate candidate forums and facilitate in-person panel discussions
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong familiarity with Johnson County and its communities
- An outgoing personality and the ability to form strong relationships with stakeholders
- Proven news judgment
- Four to seven years experience in the news industry as a reporter or editor
People interested in the position should submit a résumé and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com by March 15.