How many people see my ad on the Shawnee Mission Post?
We keep track of how many different individuals visit the site the course of each month. For the latest statistics on readership and site traffic visit our updated traffic page. Most of our advertising sells by the month so all of our readers will be exposed to it, even if they don’t come onto the site every day. We limit our ad inventory to make sure ads are prominently displayed and attract readers’ attention. By posting an average of six stories each day, we draw readers’ focus down the page and along our prominent ad spots. We update our readership numbers regularly.
Where do those readers live?
Our readers live throughout the Shawnee Mission School District area, from Shawnee and Lenexa on the west to Overland Park, Prairie Village and Leawood on the east. There are no zip code breakouts available for online reading, but we estimate 80 percent of our readers live in these communities. A very small number of our regular readers visit the site from outside the area — likely former residents or college students.
Do you know anything about the demographics of your readers?
We can tell that those who follow us on Facebook skew toward women between 25 and 54 and the highest number of followers are in the 35-44 age range. Facebook followers tend to visit the site frequently and — as mothers — these are the people who make many of the buying decisions in the family.
How are pageviews different from visits and how does that affect my advertising effectiveness?
Pageviews measure the number of distinct pages our visitors load over the course of a month. During a single visit, a reader may read the homepage, click on a headline to read the comments under a story, and visit our calendar page. That would be a total of three pageviews from a single visit. The more pages our readers load, the more opportunities they have to see your ad. Our ads appear on each of these pages. Check our Quick Link for the most recent site traffic and readership number, including Facebook and Twitter followers.
Do most people come on the site every day?
No. Statistics show that several thousand different people visit the site each day although we do have a loyal audience who tend to visit the site several times every single day. Since tens of thousands visit the site over the course of a month, you can tell that many people visit the site every few days or once a week. That said, our less-frequent visitors tend to read all the way down to the last story that they read previously, meaning they are guaranteed to see every ad on the page.
Many of the ad spaces are sold on a monthly basis. What if I want to change my ad message or promote a sale that is just for one day during that month.
While most of our ads are sold by the month, we allow you to change both the text and graphic whenever you like. That way you can target the message and image. If we create a completely new version of the ad for you, we charge $50 per creation. If you are providing us your finished ad in jpeg format, we will swap it out for you once per week, or even more frequently, at no charge. If it is a simple text change, we also will do that at no charge.
Are there any discounts available for advertising on shawneemissionpost.com?
Yes. We offer a variety of discounts. Long-term contracts of six or 12 months, a volume buy based on dollars spent all have associated discounts. Non-profit organizations also get a discount. Multiple Sponsored Posts also are sold at a package discount.
Is it less costly if I prepare my own ad? If I do, what size and format should I use?
All of the prices on our rate sheet assume that you are preparing your ad and it will be delivered to us in .jpeg or .gif format. We will create your ad for a $50 fee.
The ad sizes are:
- Billboard: 970×250 pixels
- Calendar: 300×600 pixels
- Marquee: 300×600 pixels
- Impact 300×250 pixels
- Local Business: 170×283 pixels
Can you explain the difference in these different ad sizes and styles?
Here is a rundown on each of the ad placements we offer:
- Billboard– This is the banner that runs at the top of the page. It is the highest visibility on the page.
- Calendar – A rectangle placed next to the “Upcoming Events” calendar block that runs just below the first story on our homepage.
- Marquee – The top ad block on the right side of the page. Designed to give great reader exposure and prominence, it always stays in the same position.
- Impact – These are the up to six blocks below the Marquee ad and the Business Profile rotator space. Impact ads offer high visibility at a reduced cost from Marquee. The ads rotate on each new pageview so you are guaranteed equal distribution among the four spots.
- Local Business – These smaller one-column ads are affordable for any business. Local Business ads rotate position on each pageview to give you an equal distribution and are limited to 16 spaces to give good exposure.
- Social Media Amplifier – These ads run below the Marquee space and display the advertiser’s Facebook, Instagram or Twitter feeds with the most recent post. Update your ad message as often as you like.
- Sponsored Posts – Sponsored Posts are text and photos we package to tell the story of your business. The posts run one time on the front page of our site, just like a news story, but clearly marked as a Sponsored Post.
- E-mail Newsletter – Each weekday at noon, shawneemissionpost.com sends out an e-mail newsletter to readers who have signed up for the service. It consists of headlines and first paragraphs of each story published since the last letter. Two advertising spaces are available and both ads appear on every newsletter.
What is the pageview guarantee and ad rotation?
Most of our monthly ad slots can be sold to more than one advertiser. When the page loads for a reader, one advertiser is displayed and on the next page load, the other advertiser is displayed. You are guaranteed 50 percent of pageviews in the Impact, Calendar and Local Businesses spaces. E-mail newsletter advertisers are on each e-mail. Social Media Amplifier ads also display on every page load.
The high number of page loads we get each month guarantee that your ad’s exposure is so robust that all regular readers will see it.
The Impact and Local Business ads rotate position with each page load to give you even exposure.