Founded in 2010, the Shawnee Mission Post is the only news source wholly dedicated to northern Johnson County. With coverage of local government, schools and business Monday through Friday, it’s become the most-turned-to source for people who want to know what’s happening in our community.
Local news you won’t find anywhere else
Here’s what we cover:
- City government in Overland Park, Shawnee, Lenexa, Leawood, Prairie Village, Merriam, Mission, Roeland Park, Fairway, Mission Hills, Westwood, Lake Quivira, Westwood Hills and Mission Woods.
- The boards of education for the Shawnee Mission School District and USD 232, as well as news out of individual schools.
- Johnson County government, including the board of county commissioners, the water district, the community college and the library system.
- The area’s delegation to the state legislature.
- Local business openings and closings, development projects, and issues that impact the local economy.
The Shawnee Mission Post was founded by the husband and wife team of Jay Senter and Julia Westhoff, who met while working on their college newspaper. The two were serving as Peace Corps volunteers in Panama when they found out Julia was pregnant with their first child and decided to move back to Jay’s hometown of Prairie Village. When they returned, they noticed metro area news sources were no longer providing consistent coverage of local government and schools in northeast Johnson County. So in June 2010, they launched a website — then called the Prairie Village Post — to fill that gap.
With the help of publisher emeritus Dan Blom, the couple was able to turn the site into a thriving small business that has become the Shawnee Mission area’s primary news source.
Interested in advertising?
For more information about our local, effective and affordable advertising opportunities, click here.
Kyle Palmer, Editor
Julia Westhoff, Director of Sales and Subscriptions
If you’d like to submit a story idea or have other inquiries, email us here.