It’s Tuesday, Shawnee Mission!
☀️ Today’s forecast: Mostly sunny. High: 85. Low: 65.
🚨 Happening today
The Shawnee Mission Post continues its fall candidate forum schedule tonight with two back-to-back forums featuring candidates vying for Leawood mayor and city council.
Tonight’s event will be held at Leawood Pioneer Library, 4700 Town Center Dr., in Leawood. Tell us you’re coming at our Facebook Events page.
The Leawood mayoral forum, featuring two candidates vying to replace Mayor Peggy Dunn who is stepping down after more than a quarter century in office, will start at 6 p.m.
That will be followed by the city council forum immediately after, which will start around 7 p.m.
The Post has planned 11 nights of forums over the next month, featuring candidates running for local offices, including mayor, city council and school board.
Last week, we did a forum for Johnson County Community College Board of Trustees, which you can watch here, as well as forums for Fairway City Council (available here) and Roeland Park City Council (available here.)
If you can’t attend our Leawood forum person, it will be livestreamed on our Facebook page and archived there for voters to watch at any point between now and Election Day on Nov. 7.
🗓 Public meetings Thursday
- Prairie Village Planning Commission Meeting, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
- Lenexa City Council Meeting, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
🚀 The Post’s top Monday stories
- Johnson County shootings involving teens capture attention. Is it a trend?
- JoCo Notes: ‘Upscale’ kids consignment sale hits JoCo this week
- Child injured in rollover crash at SM Parkway and State Line
- Chipotle faces lawsuit over alleged harassment of Muslim worker at Lenexa franchise
- Prairie Village to talk housing, neighborhood design guidelines Monday
📰 Other local news
- No serious injuries after plane crash at Johnson County Executive Airport. Airport officials say the pilot of a plane that flipped over on its approach to land Sunday suffered no serious injuries. [Fox 4]
- JoCo among Kansas counties with highest rates of deer-to-vehicle crashes. The Kansas Department of Transportation tracked 27 crashes last year involving deer in Johnson County, second only to Shawnee County’s total of 28. [Topeka Capital-Journal]
- Beyoncé Renaissance tour film to show in AMC theaters. On the final stop on her Renaissance World Tour in Kansas City Sunday night, the pop star announced a film of the tour would debut Dec. 1 in a deal with the Leawood-based theater company. [Kansas City Business Journal]
📸 A thousand words
Over the weekend, the Shawnee Police Department debuted a new vehicle wrap on one of its patrol cars in honor of October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. For more information, visit the National Breast Cancer Foundation web site. Photo via Facebook.