It’s already hump day, Shawnee Mission!
🌧️Today’s forecast: Rainy throughout the morning and into the afternoon, cloudy this evening. High: 46, Low: 30
🚨 One thing to know today
Some Kansas City area community groups are denouncing antisemitic and racist graffiti found spray painted on Blue Valley High School’s football stadium and press box on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
The vandalism included swastikas and other racist and homophobic slurs, according to a statement from the Jewish Community Relations Bureau/American Jewish Committee of Kansas City.
JCRB|AJC statement on vandalism at Blue Valley High School pic.twitter.com/TaN74RjS0B
— JCRBAJC (@JCRBAJC) January 17, 2023
Images and videos circulating on social media showed the N-word, an LGBTQ slur and other derogatory terms spray painted on the stadium press box’s interior.
Kindness and diversity advocacy group SevenDays also released a statement that included a comment from a Blue Valley High student, Emma Sandler, who said it was “extremely upsetting” to have to attend school as a Jewish person after the incident.
As of Tuesday, the district is still working with the Overland Park Police Department to investigate the vandalism, according to Overland Park Police spokesperson John Lacy.
🗓️ Public meetings Wednesday
- Northeast Johnson County State of the Cities luncheon, 11 a.m. [More info]
- Mission City Council, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
- Overland Park Finance, Administration and Economic Development Committee, 7 p.m. [View agenda]
🚀 Post’s top Tuesday stories
- Local obituaries for Jan. 13-16
- Roeland Park’s new mayor is LGBTQ pathbreaker in JoCo
- 4 people injured in head-on highway crash in Overland Park
- Shawnee lawmaker co-sponsors bill banning gender-affirming care until age 21
- Mike Boehm, Lenexa’s longest-serving mayor, won’t run again
📰 Other local news
- Shawnee Mission South area school board member Jessica Hembree filed for reelection Tuesday, officially launching her bid for a second term. [Facebook]
- Real estate listing website Zillow predicts the Kansas City metro will have one of the hottest housing markets in 2023. [Zillow]
- Overland Park Police are searching for a suspect who rammed a police car Monday afternoon near 138th and Metcalf. [Fox 4]
- Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly will be in Lenexa this afternoon to again advocate for an immediate end to the state sales tax on food.
🐦 Notable tweets
Overland Park launched a glass recycling pilot program for residents at six apartment complexes.
Partnering with @rippleglass, the City has launched a multifamily glass recycling pilot program to make going green more accessible to those living in apartments.
— City of Overland Park, Kansas (@opcares) January 17, 2023
Shawnee Mission Schools’ career-focused Signature Programs will hold an Open House this Thursday for interested students and families.
Where does YOUR passion lie? Come to the Signature Program Open House on Thursday, Jan. 19 from 5:30-8pm at the Center for Academic Achievement and explore the possibilities! We are #OneShawneeMission pic.twitter.com/OAYRu6qngl
— SM School District (@theSMSD) January 17, 2023
And Overland Park native Paul Rudd has a new star-studded project.
The filming of Season 3 of “Only Murders in the Building” has begun! A cast to dream of. pic.twitter.com/mvMkJknoEk
— Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo) January 17, 2023
📸 A thousand words
A statuesque scene near Tomahawk Park in Leawood on Tuesday.
Have a picture you’d like featured on the Post? Submit images to email@example.com.