The weekend starts now, Shawnee Mission! Kyle here, to get this Friday started right.
Forecast: ⛅ High: 88, Low: 65. Mostly sunny through the day with an increasing chance for rain and some thunderstorms later this afternoon and evening.
Weekend outlook: Saturday, ☀️ High: 84, Low: 66. Sunny with a slight chance for rain, mostly in the afternoon. Sunday, ☀️ High: 86, Low: 64. Sunny and clear.
- Harpist and singer Calvin Arsenia, voted Kansas City’s best musician four years running by The Pitch, headlines the Midwest Trust Center’s “Light Up the Lawn” Concert Series tonight. The free event starts at 8:30 p.m. on the lawn outside the Nerman Museum. Here’s more info.
- The KC Current carry a 10-match unbeaten streak into a Friday night showdown with Angel City at Children’s Mercy Park at 7 p.m. tonight. The club is urging fans to set a new attendance record for a women’s professional match in KC. Remaining tickets start at $16 each.
- The city of Mission’s first-ever MPRD Cornhole Tournament will be held Saturday, starting at 12:30 p.m. at Beverly Park. Teams of two can sign up for the round robin, single-elimination event. Find out more.
- Football is back, at least preseason football. The Chiefs host the Washington Commanders at 3 p.m. Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium in the team’s second preseason tuneup before the real action begins next month. Remaining tickets start at $20.
- Finish up your weekend with some more soccer as Sporting KC hosts the Portland Timbers at Children’s Mercy Park on Sunday at 6:30 p.m. Available tickets start at $29.
- An Overland Park woman accused of intentionally killing one of her patients while working as a respiratory therapist at a Missouri hospital two decades ago will now stand trial. [KSHB]
- The Gardner-Edgerton School District will pay special education teachers a one-time $500 bonus to encourage educators to stay in “hard to fill” positions, including paraprofessionals. [Fox 4]
- A Missouri man pleaded guilty in federal court to blowing up ATMs at two separate Overland Park businesses last year in an attempt to steal cash inside the machines. [Kansas City Star]