This is big: Hosted by the American Royal, the World Series of Barbecue Sauce Contest bills itself as the largest such competition in the world, with hundreds of entrants each year.
The rankings: Benjamin’s Meat Mitch Whomp! BBQ Sauce placed first in the Vinegar Category and 20th for the title of “Best Sauce on the Planet.”
- This year’s contest had more than 400 entries from 36 states and eight countries.
- Each sauce was judged in a blind tasting based on appearance, texture, taste alone and taste on unseasoned barbecue meat.
Competition history: This is not Benjamin’s first accolade won at the American Royal.
- He entered the barbecue sauce contest for the first time several years ago under the team name “Meat Mitch” after “suckering” a few friends to help him.
- Entering the competition only for fun, he says, he went home that year before the winners could be announced, assuming that he did not place.
- However, he later received a call notifying him that he’d won third place in the Brisket Category.
Key quote: ” We began entering competitions throughout the year and expanding our scope,” Benjamin said in a statement. “We’re still in for the fun. But don’t get me wrong – being named World Champion is pretty nice.”
Restaurant ownership: In 2014, Benjamin entered the restaurant arena with the opening of Char Bar Smoked Meats & Amusements in historic Westport.
- Throughout the pandemic, Benjamin Started emailing BBQ recipes to his friends and family before publishing the collection in a book titled “BBQ Revolution – Innovative Barbecue Recipes from an All-Star Pitmaster.”
- Then, in December 2021, he opened his first Meat Mitch restaurant in Leawood at the remodeled Ranch Mart North shopping center at 95th and Mission.