Your daily planner: Tuesday, May 17

An uplifting message was left behind for the staff at Monticello Library in Shawnee. Photo credit Johnson County Library.

Good morning, readers! It’s Alexis here with a look at the day ahead.

Forecast: 🌦 High of 79. Low of 63. Skies will be partly cloudy today with a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Tonight, the likelihood of rain increases to 70% with isolated thunderstorms possible overnight.

Diversions

  • Enjoy your Tuesday evening with a variety of live music performances in downtown KCMO. They Might Be Giants will perform at The Truman and Little Hurt and Fox Royale will perform at recordBar. Both shows begin at 8 p.m. Get tickets here.
  • Let’s play two. The Royals host the Chicago White Sox for a double-header at Kauffman Stadium today. The first game starts at 1:10 p.m. The second game is set for 6:10 p.m. and will also be a “Bark at the Park,” where fans can bring their dogs to the stadium. Find out more here.

Public Agenda

  • The Lenexa City Council will meet tonight at 7 p.m. at Lenexa City Hall. Take a look at the agenda here.
  • Johnson County Government, Gov. Laura Kelly and other guests will celebrate the start of construction of the New Century Commerce Center in southern Johnson County, with a groundbreaking event this morning. The program is set to begin at 10 a.m.

Noteworthy

  • SMSD will host graduations this evening for Shawnee Mission East seniors at 7 p.m. at SM North and Shawnee Mission South seniors at 8 p.m. at SM South.
  • Governor Laura Kelly formally filed for reelection Tuesday along with Lieutenant Governor David Toland. “I’m proud of the work we’ve done over the past three years, and hope to continue building on these accomplishments in my second term,” Governor Kelly said. At least four Republicans have filed to challenge Kelly, including Attorney General Derek Schmidt.
  • Great Harvest Bread Co. in Prairie Village has adjusted their hours, and will be open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday. These hours mark a transitional phase as the owners of the store look to sell the bakery.
  • Olathe City Council will consider a pilot agreement with Bird Rides, Inc. to launch a fleet of e-scooters throughout the city at next month’s meeting. The scooters are already in two Johnson County cities: Overland Park and Prairie Village. [Fox 4]