Happy International Women’s Day, everyone! Juliana here, welcoming you to Tuesday, March 8 in Johnson County.
Forecast: ☁️ High: 45 Low: 27. A cloudy day with low winds during the day, but wind gusts as high as 20 miles per hour at night.
- “The Royale,” inspired by the life of path-breaking boxer Jack Johnson, premieres tonight at 7 p.m. at the Kansas City Repertory Theatre. Tickets cost between $35 and $65, and can be purchased online here.
- Catch Joywave performing at The Truman in Kansas City, Missouri, tonight at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $25 to $50 and can be purchased online here.
- Join Prairie Village’s diversity committee for its virtual meeting tonight at 5:30 p.m. The agenda includes a Juneteenth celebration discussion, a town hall update and more.
- The Lenexa City Council will meet in committee tonight at 7 p.m. UP for discussion is a set of proposed new transit pilot programs and changes to transit routes in Johnson County, specifically a new route on W. 87th Street Parkway.
A couple more items of note from the area:
- Roeland Park’s mask mandate still expires on March 16. At its Monday night meeting, the city council considered an ordinance amending the mandate to require masks if Johnson County enters a high COVID-19 transmissiblity rate. The vote was split 4 to 4, and because Mayor Mike Kelly did not support it, it will not go into effect.
- The deadline for Prairie Village’s Art of Photography competition is now extended to March 16. The application can be submitted online here with a $30 entry fee. There are 11 awards including Best of Show and Peoples’ Choice.
- WaterOne crews began water main replacements near 75th Street and Quivira Road on March 7. Lane closures on east and westbound 75th Street will be in place until March 9, southbound lane closures on Quivira are expected March 10 to March 13, and a full closure of the intersection is expected from March 14 to March 18.
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated Roeland Park considered repealing its current mask mandate.