Note: The Shawnee Mission Post is making all coverage of the coronavirus pandemic accessible to non-subscribers. (If you value having a local news source covering the situation in our community, we hope you’ll consider subscribing here).
The Shawnee Mission School District announced this afternoon that it would begin offering “pick up and go” meals prepared by the district’s food services staff next Tuesday, March 24.
The effort comes as Johnson County districts look to continue to provide services to students from food insecure households amid the closure of K-12 buildings for in-person instruction across the state.
The release put out by the district on the program is below:
Beginning March 24, 2020, free breakfast and lunch will be provided to all children ages 1 to 18 at four school sites in the Shawnee Mission School District. Students must be present to receive breakfast and lunch.
• No reservations are needed.
• Meals will be available for pick up outside the school front drive.
• Meals will be placed on a table for individual pick up.
• One breakfast and one lunch meal will be given for each child present.
• An adult accompanying children may pick up the meals for each child without all children needing to exit a vehicle.
• Please follow social distancing and avoid crowding when coming to the table.
Meals are prepared by District Food Services staff and distributed following food safety and sanitary practices.
These meals are funded entirely by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
• Comanche Elementary, 8200 Grant St., Overland Park
• Rosehill Elementary, 9801 Rosehill, Lenexa
• Shawanoe Elementary, 11230 W 75th St., Shawnee
• Hocker Grove Middle School, 10400 Johnson Dr, Shawnee
Dates: Beginning March 24, 2020
Time: 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. on Monday through Friday.
Contact the Food Services Department with any questions at 913-993-9710 or email@example.com.
Menus will be rotated and posted on the serving line the day of service. Menus are subject to change due to availability.
Each breakfast meal includes these components: Fruit, Grain, and Milk
Each lunch meal includes these components: Protein, Fruit/Vegetable, Grain, and Milk