Note: The Shawnee Mission Post is making all coverage of the coronavirus pandemic accessible to non-subscribers. (If you value having a local news source covering the situation in our community, we hope you’ll consider subscribing here).
A resident suspected of having contracted the coronavirus who visited Leawood City Hall last week has tested positive for the disease, the city confirmed this afternoon.
Leawood announced on Friday it was closing city hall until further notice “after the city learned of a possible COVID-19/coronavirus exposure.” The administration said today that the facility would remain closed tomorrow, Tuesday, March 17, as work continues to disinfect the site.
“The residents and city employees who were in direct contact with the subject are being notified by county and state health officials. City employees are following every recommendation of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment,” reads a statement from the city. “The Mayor and City Council want to express their deep appreciation to our residents for their display of patience and calmness during this extraordinary period.”
Following the confirmation of the positive COVID-19 test, the city urged residents to adhere to guidelines intended to stem the spread of the virus:
- Put distance between yourself and other people (6 feet or more). This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick – those over age 60, people with weakened immune systems or chronic medical conditions.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.