There’s nothing like a cool summer weekend to get out and enjoy outdoor events. Here are some great ones to choose from:
- Westwood’s inaugural Music in the Park event comes to Dennis Park tonight. Westwood’s own Mike Smith and the Sax Pistols take the stage from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Attendees can bring their own food, and coolers (with alcohol, as permitted by a city council vote).
- It’s not every day Shawnee Mission Park gets a visit from a group as strange as the Addams Family, so make sure to get a glimpse Wednesday – Saturday at Theatre in the Park.
- On Friday why not celebrate Christmas in July, poolside? The Merriam Aquatic Center is hosting a Pool Party Palooza, Christmas style. Join Bob and Skipper the Elves with games, swimming, snacks and maybe even a visit from Santa Claus. Wear your favorite swimsuit.
- Or,if you’re not quite ready to feel the Christmas spirit, head over to Victor X Andersen Park in Mission for “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”. Some concessions will be available for purchase.
Farmer’s market season doesn’t really get any better than this. If you’re stopping by the Overland Park Farmer’s Market on Saturday morning make sure to check out the henna at Ten Thousand Villages from 10 a.m. to noon.
- On Saturday night enjoy the gem that is the Lenexa Community Orchestra, playing Schubert’s Symphony No. 8, “Unfinished”. These free concerts will be held at the Lenexa Commons outdoor stage (or, in case of inclement weather, the Shawnee Mission West High School Auditorium).