At Johnson County Community College, we are dedicated to supporting our military and veteran students, and strive to provide a learning environment that fosters their academic and personal growth.
With the Fourth of July just days away, we want to highlight the services JCCC provides to support our military-affiliated students.
The Veteran and Military Student Resource Center
The Veteran and Military Student Resource Center (VMSCR) is an information hub where students can ask questions, find college or local resources, and unwind between classes. Here are just a few of the VMSCR services students can take advantage of:
- Peer Advisers for Veteran Education (PAVE): This peer-support system connects incoming student-veterans with veterans already on campus who can help them navigate college life, identify challenges and more. JCCC has the distinction of being one of three community colleges in the nation selected for this peer-mentoring program.
- JCCC Veterans Club: Students meet twice a month and participate in campus, community and social activities. JCCC’s Veterans Club is an official chapter of Student Veterans of America.
- Scholarships: A variety of military, veteran and dependent scholarships are available.
- Pre-enrollment: Veteran and military students have access to pre-enrollment with their military or Veterans Affairs IDs.
- JCCC Discounts: Veteran and military students receive free haircuts at the JCCC Cosmetology Salon, $10 teeth cleanings at the Dental Hygiene Clinic and free tickets to all JCCC athletic events.
When it comes to serving veteran and military, Kena Zumalt, Veteran Services Coordinator, says, “It’s important that our service model is vets serving vets, because there’s an automatic level of trust – esprit de corps – that’s a big piece of our success.”
Questions? Contact our Veteran Services team at 913-469-8500, ext. 4981 and discover all the ways JCCC supports veteran and military-affiliated students.