Shawnee Mission’s summer of action continues this weekend with plenty of options for fun, from the arts to athletics to stuffing pancakes in your face:
- On Thursday rock out with Sister Hazel at the Town Center summer concert series. This family-friendly event takes place in the north parking lot, with gates opening at 6 p.m. and music starting at 7 p.m.
- On Saturday morning stop by for pancakes and sausage with Firefighters at Station 22 in Prairie Village. Proceeds to to the Back to School with a Firefighter Program.
- Hear Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9, “From the New World” played by the Lenexa Community Orchestra on Saturday at 8. Conductor Richard Ryan leads these free concerts, which are held at the
Lenexa Commons outdoor stage.UPDATED: Due to the excessive heat warning, the city is moving Saturday night’s Community Orchestra concert to Shawnee Mission West High School
- Have some free time on Saturday morning and looking for something totally different? Grab a roll of duct tape and cardboard, gather a team of friends and build a boat to compete in a 50 meter race across the Leawood Aquatic Center Pool. Prizes will be given to the top finishes in this Cardboard Boat Regatta. More information can be found here.
- On Friday night join Shawnee Parks and Recreation for PARKED!, a food truck festival at Stump Park. Enjoy music, fireworks, youth cyclocross, bounce houses, and more.
- Wrap up your weekend with a show by the Overland Park Civic Band on Sunday evening in Santa Fe Commons Park for their regular Music in the Park series.