MARC warns of high flu infection rates in metro area. A notable spike in the prevalence of influenza infections in the Kansas City area prompted the Mid-America Regional Council this week to issue a warning to area residents to take precautions. “Wash hands often, cover coughs/sneezes and get a flu shot,” the organization wrote on its social media accounts. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s influenza surveillance report showed a big spike in the number of visits to healthcare providers for influenza-like illnesses in December — though the number of reported cases appears to be headed back down.
Prairie Village start live-streaming council, planning commission meetings. Starting with the city council meeting earlier this week, Prairie Village is now live-streaming its city council and planning commission meetings via the city’s website as well as YouTube and Facebook. The city approved the measure to begin live-steaming meetings in July 2017. Councilmember Serena Schermoly had organized the streaming of meetings on social media shortly after she came onto the council and lobbied for the city to take up the practice itself. You can find the links for the live-streaming destinations as well as archived meeting videos on the city’s website here.
Shawnee Chamber announces 2018 Shawnee Tomorrow Leadership class. The Shawnee Chamber of Commerce has announced the 20 participants in this year’s Shawnee Tomorrow Leadership program. The eight-session program provides participants who live and/or work in Shawnee the chance to learn about community groups, city government and civic affairs. This year’s members are:
- Kristy Acree – Just Found It!
- Travis Davidson – Burdolski Auto Werks
- Kevin Friedrichs – Terracon
- Martha Gomez – Intrust Bank
- Lindsey Hales – Central Bank of the Midwest
- Lyndsey Harrold – Shawnee Mission Health
- Celina Huffman – Shawnee Mission Health
- Brenda Mark – CommunityAmerica Credit Union
- Cole Mayer – McCownGordon Construction
- Shannon Moriarty – Sunflower House
- Chris Norris – Weaver’s Auto Center
- Shelby Ostrom – Shawnee Chamber of Commerce
- Jessica Salazar – Overland Park Regional Medical Center
- Jonnathan Salazar – Arbor Masters Tree & Landscape
- Salvatore Scarpa – Shawnee Fire Department
- Leslie Stover – HCA Midwest
- Kevin Taylor – City of Shawnee
- Tommy Turner – JE Dunn Construction
- Kelly Vaille – Construction DesignWorks
- Alexa Von Arb – Shawnee Gardens HC & Rehabilitation Center