A committee charged with filling the seat of departed councilmember John Skubal has narrowed the field of possible appointees to serve as a representative of Overland Park’s Ward 5.
The committee received seven applications for the position, and selected five of those applicants for interviews that will be conducted tomorrow and Tuesday, April 25. The interviewees are:
- Kathryn Arbuckle-Higdon-Dailey, an attorney by training who left legal practice to focus on parenting.
- Faris Farassati, a cancer scientist at the Kansas City Veterans Affairs Medical Center who has filed to run in November’s election for the other Ward 5 seat, presently occupied by John Thompson, who has filed for reelection.
- Rob McKnight, a retired political consultant who mounted an unsuccessful bid for the Kansas House against Rep. Rob Bruchman in 2010.
- Nicole Novak, an account manager at Pareto Marketing, Inc.
- Trish Reedy, a mortgage loan officer at Central Bank of the Midwest who is the current president of the Overland Park Rotary Club.
Mayor Carl Gerlach, Finance, Administration and Economic Development Committee Chair Terry Goodman and Council President John Thompson are on the committee to screen and interview the applicants. The city must appoint a replacement by the first week of May.
Whoever is appointed will serve through January 2018, at which point the person voters choose to fill the remainder of the term in a special election in November will take over the seat.