If you thought word that work might begin on the long-stalled Mission Gateway project this spring sounded too good to be true, it looks like you were right.
The Kansas City Star’s Steve Vockrodt reports that developer Tom Valenti now says he will not break ground in March as he had told city officials last year. “Just to be on the safe side, I would say I hope to start construction this year,” Valenti told Vockrodt.
Valenti had told city officials in December he planned to begin work on the first phase of his latest plan, a mixed-use complex with 168 apartments and 50,642 square feet of “small shop” commercial and restaurant space, by March 31. Valenti had hoped to begin work on that phase of the project without any public financing incentives as a show of good faith toward the city council, though he planned to seek tax increment and community improvement district financing packages for the second and third phases, which would include a hotel and big box retail.
Valenti is expected to go before the Mission Planning Commission in late March to lobby for the passage of his project plans. You can find Vockrodt’s full story here.
Valenti and city officials held a groundbreaking ceremony for the project in August 2013. The property has sat vacant ever since.