Most of the time, tailgating isn’t much of a thing when it comes to high school football games in the Shawnee Mission School District.
But when a big crowd turned out to tailgate at the SM North stadium before the SM East-Olathe South matchup a couple of weeks ago, officials realized they didn’t have a game plan for handling them.
“There was such a large crowd and so much enthusiasm it created issues in the parking lots we hadn’t had before,” said Richard Kramer, SMSD’s athletic director.
“They weren’t doing anything wrong, we just had never handled that large of group. It’s usually a small group and not an issue.”
So the district has come up with some guidelines for keeping tailgating a fan-friendly activity. The tailgating rules are as follows:
- Possession and/or use of alcohol and tobacco products, including e-cigarettes,is prohibited on District property.
- Tailgating in the parking lot may not impede the general flow of traffic or use space intended for parking.
- Solicitations and commercial activities require permission of SMSD.
- Any person damaging school property will be responsible for the cost of repairs, including damages to the parking lot or grass areas.
- Unless otherwise designated, set-up may not begin before 5 p.m. on game day or two hours before kickoff. Areas must be cleaned, all trash disposed and the area vacated immediately after the game.
- Driving or parking private vehicles on any and all green spaces and sidewalks is prohibited.
- Tents or canopies are prohibited with the exception of large groups that are associated with the school, including but not limited to booster clubs, and school-sponsored activities and clubs. You must first receive permission from the host school to allow a tent or canopy in a designated area.
- All charcoal grills are prohibited. Propane and electric grills are permitted.
- Inappropriate behavior my result in removal and loss of privilege at future events.
- The Shawnee Mission School District or any high school are not responsible for accidents, damage, loss or theft of materials or personal property.