By Julia Westhoff
“I never want to eat anything else,” my husband proclaimed while eating this dish. I had to agree. Even though it’s February, I just had a baby, and I am stuffing my face with every calorie in sight, the most delicious dish I have eaten lately is, oddly, the healthiest. Jay has been roasting cauliflower and tossing it with lemon and we cannot get enough. Never in my life has a vegetable tasted so good. And with the sharp drop in cauliflower prices ($2 a head! What?!) we have been eating this several times a week.
Honestly, I’m not sure what exactly makes this dish so wonderful – it must just be the sum of its parts. But you should make it, now. Today. At $2 a head you cannot afford not to, people! This dish has found a permanent place in my heart and my recipe box. Make it yourself here.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse a head of cauliflower and cut it into florets.
- Dice three to four cloves of garlic.
- Toss the garlic and the cauliflower together with about 1/3 of a cup of olive oil. (Enough to lightly coat the cauliflower).
- Put the coated cauliflower in a deep roasting dish and set the timer for 14 minutes. Put the pan in the oven.
- After 14 minutes, remove the roasting pan and shake it to redistribute the cauliflower. You want the parts that haven’t started to brown to start to directly touch the pan.
- Return the cauliflower to the oven for an additional 14 minutes.
- Remove cauliflower to a dish. Grate enough parmesan cheese over the cauliflower to cover the top and then toss the cheese and the cauliflower together.
- Finish by squeezing the juice of half a lemon over the dish and lightly tossing before serving.
- Eat and reflect on the wonder of creation.