SM North cross country teams finish third in Oklahoma. SM North’s cross country teams had another strong showing over the weekend, this time against some of the stiffest competition from the lower midwest. Both the Indians boys and girls teams finished third at the Oklahoma State Cowboy Jamboree in Stillwater. There were 31 girls teams and 41 boys teams in the competition.
SM East, SM North journalists named finalists in National Scholastic Press Association competitions. Student journalists from northeast Johnson County’s two large Shawnee Mission high schools are among the select group named finalists for the National Scholastic Press Association’s 2015 Fall Awards. The finalists are:
- Multimedia Feature: Sophie Tulp, James Wooldridge, Daniel Rinner, The Harbinger.
- Feature Story: A New Rhythm, Julia Poe, The Harbinger
- Sports Story: In a heartbeat, Sophie Tulp, The Harbinger
- Tabloid, 17 or more pages Pacemaker: The Harbinger, Sophie Tulp, Morgan Krakow, editors
C. Dow Tate, adviser
- News Picture: Claire Hessenflow, The Hauberk
- Feature Picture: Kelsie Sneegas, The Indian
Octoberfest Saturday in Westwood. The annual Octoberfest celebration will take place from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday in Dennis Park at 50th and Rainbow in Westwood. Dinner will be provided by Werner’s Fine Sausages and dessert from Foo’s Fabulous Frozen Custard from 5 to 7:30 p.m. The Ruskin Quartet will provide music from 5 to 7 p.m. All evening there will be beverages for both kids and adults plus an inflatable moonwalk and a pumpkin decorating station. In case of bad weather, the event will move to Westwood City Hall.
The Northeast Johnson County morning roundup is brought to you by Twisted Sisters Coffee Shop on Johnson Drive. For updates on the latest blends and specialty drinks available, follow them on Facebook.