Here is your chance to name a park in Mission and get a free annual membership to the Sylvester Powell Community Center.
Mission will start construction of its newest park later this year at the corner of Broadmoor and Martway next to the Wellstone at Mission Crossing apartment development. The corner lot is now being used to store construction materials for the apartment building, but that is expected to end this summer which will open the way for the park to be developed – and it will need a name.
Last month the council rejected the name Celebration Park that had been submitted and decided to start over on name selection. The city council already has begun reviewing plans for the park layout.
Now, naming the park has been opened up to the public. The person who submits the name that is confirmed and officially assigned by the city council for the park will win a year’s family membership to the community center.
Names must be submitted by June 1 to be eligible. Names can be submitted to Parks Director Christy Humerickhouse at email@example.com.
A few guidelines apply though. The city has a policy giving preference to certain types of names when it comes to naming parks:
• Neighborhood, boundary roads, or common usage identification;
• A natural or geographic feature;
• Significant historical events or cultural attributes;
• A historical figure;
• A name chosen by an individual (living or deceased) who has made a significant land and/or monetary contribution to the park system;
• An individual who has contributed outstanding civic service to the City or has been instrumental in acquiring or developing parks properties, and who has been deceased for a period of at least one year;
• Organizations having contributed to and influenced the betterment of the City.