Firefighters are battling a two-alarm fire that broke out late this morning at the Mission Bowl, a long-time bowling alley on Martway in Mission. Firefighters received the call at 10:55 a.m.
Heavy smoke rolled out of the building and flames were seen at one point coming through windows at the top of the front walls. Firefighters from Consolidated Fire District No. 2 and the Overland Park Fire Department were on the scene.
Consolidated Fire Chief Tony Lopez said the bowling alley manager removed a ceiling tile in the kitchen and discovered the fire after going to investigate. The manager and three employees left the premises without anyone being injured, though the manager sustained minor grease burns on her arms. She refused treatment.
Lopez said the bow-string style construction of the roof made the fire difficult to control. Because ceiling fires spread easily in such structures, firefighters were not able to enter the building to fight the blaze initially.
By Friday afternoon Mission Bowl had posted a notice on its site directing anyone with an event scheduled at the Mission location to contact the Olathe center that is part of the same ownership. Mission Bowl has been a popular site for bowling leagues, birthday parties and fundraisers, as well as individual bowling, for decades.