Nine SM North students have received scholarships during the annual SM North Sports Scholarship Foundation awards program. The nine legacy scholarships total $7,500 for the student athletes based on excellence in the classroom, athletic participation and work in the community.
The scholarships are named after former SM North coaches to honor their contributions and provide a living legacy for each one of them. The scholarships awarded this year included:
- Bill Cornwell Basketball Scholarship – Scott Johnson was a three-year lettermen in basketball and was a four-year varsity track athlete. He was the captain of the basketball team for two years and was named honorable mention All-League in 2014.
- Bob Stauffer Track Scholarship – Darian Dozier received eight letters in basketball and track and field. She was the team captain in both sports in her senior year. She earned All-League honors in basketball in 2014.
- Don Alpaugh Scholarship – Thomas Johnson was on the varsity bowling team for two years and finished 46th at the 2014 State Tournament. He was also in the Pep Band and Marching Band for four years.
- Tom Coker Tennis Scholarship – Holly Clark received two varsity letters in tennis and was the team captain in 2014. She participated in DECA for three years and was the co-president in her senior year.
- Jim Hanson Baseball Scholarship – Alex Cooley played on the varsity baseball team for three years as a pitcher and third baseman. He was the team captain in 2014.
- Larry Taylor Football Scholarship – Jesse Patterson lettered three years in football and track and field. He was a two-year captain on the football team. He was named to the 2013 All-League football team as a defensive back and qualified for the 2013 State track meet.
- Owen Craig Memorial Scholarship for Trainers and Student Managers – Crysta Moon has been a student manager for the varsity basketball team for three years, and one year each for the cross country and track and field teams. She earned a varsity letter in cross country and track and field.
- Steve Howard Softball Scholarship – Ashlee Bishop played softball for four years and earned two varsity letters. She also played two years in basketball and received a letter as a football manager.
- Bernie Wagner and Merlin Gish Scholar Athlete of the Year Scholarship – Bailey Conklin earned four letters in both golf and bowling. She placed seventh at the Sunflower League bowling tournament in leading her team to a second-place finish.