Do you make New Year’s resolutions? I do, but usually forget them three weeks in. This year, however, I can already cross one off my list – I made sushi!
So far I’ve made rolls containing salmon, cucumber, avocado, tuna and lemon. I read this article from the Denver Post, and found it to be very helpful. I won’t repeat it here, but instead suggest some tips if you’d like to try it yourself.
- I bought everything except for the fillings at the Oriental Supermarket at 103rd and Metcalf (back in a strip mall). This includes: sushi rice, rice vinegar, bamboo mat, seaweed paper, wasabi paste and pickled ginger. I am sure you could spend beaucoup bucks for those things somewhere else, but this place is very cheap and very good.
- Whole Foods carries sushi-grade salmon and tuna.
- Real wasabi paste is no joke. You should have seen Jay and me – we looked like cartoon characters with smoke coming out of our ears. But we kept going back for it.
- Do it! It was so easy and it made me so happy. Here are the things I’d like to do now that I can make sushi:
- a. Host a Japanese-themed dinner party with green tea ice cream for dessert.
- b. Pack it in Olivia’s lunch box, just like Yoko in the Rosemary Wells books (except that Olivia would totally kill me!)
- c. Bring it to potlucks and see how it stacks up against turkey pinwheels.
- d. Experiment with different crazy combos – let me know if you have any ideas!