But then I read this post from Smitten Kitchen, and my world was turned upside-down. Deb has created a simple, delicious, and fool-proof method for this sandwich, and I’ve been using it ever since. You basically use the eggs like a crepe batter, and stick the cheese in the middle while it’s cooking. Meanwhile, you do a happy dance just thinking about the goodness you are about to enjoy.
Recipe’s after the jump.
Recipe: Lazy Egg-and-Cheese Sandwich
Adapted from smittenkitchen.com
An English muffin, bagel or two slices bread
1 to 2 teaspoons butter or oil
Salt and pepper
1 slice of cheese or a tiny pile of grated cheese
1. Put the bread in a toaster. Heat a 9-inch skillet, preferably nonstick, on medium.
2. Beat 2 eggs with a fork. Add in a little salt and pepper.
3. Melt oil or butter in pan. Pour in the eggs and roll them around so they cover the pan, as a thin crepe would.
4. Plop cheese in the middle.
5. Cook the eggs completely – about 1-2 minutes.
6. Fold the part of the egg closest to you over the cheese, like the first part of a business letter fold. Repeat this on the three remaining “sides,” forming a small square. Leave the folded egg-and-cheese in the center of the skillet to cook for another 30 seconds, then slide onto you muffin or toast.