It’s been an unfortunately active beginning to 2011 for the Fairway police department.
Fairway sent a message to city residents Monday alerting them that a string of burglaries and car thefts had hit the area. Two homes were broken into on New Year’s Eve, and the burglars got away with flat screen televisions, computers and jewelry. Burglars tried to get into a third home, but were unable to gain entry. The attempted burglary resulted in damage to the front door and jam. All three incidents took place in the Highlands area.
A car in the Highlands area was stolen when it was left running unattended with the keys in the ignition, but was later recovered and returned to its owner. The thief apparently kept the car keys, though, and stole the car again two days later.
Fairway police are encouraging residents to be on the lookout, and not to leave running cars unattended. They provided a list of safety tips, which are after the jump.
1. Draw your blinds or curtains at night to keep strangers from “shopping” through your windows.
2. Lock your doors and any storm/screen doors. Ensure the door locks are secured to your door jam using long, sturdy screws.
3. Consider installing and using a home security system.
4. Install motion-activated exterior security lights.
5. Keep your neighbors informed of your absences and ask them to keep an eye on your home.
6. Secure your valuables, including laptop computers, cameras, jewelry, and firearms.