Gang: Listen up for a minute, will you?
Tomorrow is the Fourth of July. And we want to make sure you are able to wring every last delicious drop of patriotic juice out of this thing. So below we’re making note of notable scheduling items worth noting — things to do and see and what have you.
And you’d better believe we’ll be kickin’ it at VillageFest early — with a handful of coveted shawneemissionpost.com window decals in our pocket. Don’t be afraid to grab us and request one if you see us out and about!
- Area grocery stores will keep normal daytime hours, though all three area Hen House locations (Fairway, Corinth Square, Village Shops) will close an hour early at 9 p.m. The State Line Hy-Vee will be open 24 hours, as usual.
- Should you determine that the presence of intoxicating spirits would enhance the celebratory mood of your holiday gathering, you may want to note that Rimann Liquors at the Village Shops will be open noon to 8 p.m., and Wooten Liquors at Corinth Square will be open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Euston Hardware at the Village Shops will be closed. Westlake Ace Hardware at Corinth Square will be open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The Prairie Village YMCA will be open 8 a.m. to noon.
- The Corinth Library will be closed.
- STANDEES’s will be open for normal dining and theatre hours (and they just added The Lone Ranger)
- For readers in the sourthern part of our coverage area, note that Leawood will be hosting its annual fireworks display at City Park (10601 Lee Blvd.) The display will start around 9:45 p.m. The city is hosting kids activities, food vendors and live music at the park starting at 5:30 p.m.
- Overland Park’s gi-monstrous fireworks display at the oxymornically named Corporate Woods will start at 9:30 p.m.
- Meadowbrook Country Club in Prairie Village will be putting on a fireworks display as well — and while the club facilities and golf course are reserved for members, if you’re in the area, turn your eyes skyward around 9:30 p.m. and you can catch the show.
- And, of course, there’s VillageFest, which kicks off with the pancake breakfast at 7:30 a.m. and runs through 1 p.m. We’re copying the full day’s schedule below — but want to make special note of the fact that our friends at Headstrong for Jake will once again be on hand for their annual bike rodeo from 10 a.m. to noon. The first 350 kids will receive a free, properly fitted helmet.