SM East journalism adviser Dow Tate may not have won Kansas Teacher of Year honors this weekend — but if there were any doubt he deserved to be on the finalists list, the school’s performance at a recent national journalism convention should take care of them.
At the JEA/NSPA Fall Convention earlier this month, the school’s newspaper, the Harbinger, took home a Pacemaker award, the highest honor in high school journalism. The Harbinger also took home first place in the Best in Show category for papers larger than 17 pages. The Harbinger’s website took home Best in Show honors as well.
A full list of the awards bestowed upon the Harbinger, the Hauberk, and their staffs is after the jump.
- Pacemaker Award
- First place Best in Show for newspapers with +17 pages
- First place Best in Show for large school publication website
- Annie Sgroi – Honorable Mention – Newswriting
- Katy Westhoff – Superior – Commentary Writing
- Logan Heley – Superior – News Editing / Headline Writing
- Kat Buchanan – Excellent – Newsmagazine: Layout
- B Copy/Caption: Sports – Honorable Mention – Corbin Barnds
- Computer Design: Advertising – Excellent – Emma Pennington
- Sports Writing – Honorable Mention – Anne Willman
- Yearbook Copy/Caption: Academics – Honorable Mention – Alysabeth Albano
- Yearbook Copy/Caption: Clubs – Excellent – Chris Heady
- Computer Design: Infographics – Superior – Evan Nichols
- Newspaper Sports Photography – Superior – Dan Stewart
- Photography Portfolio – Honorable Mention – Katie EastPodcast – Excellent – Bob Martin
- Environmental Portrait of the year – Third Place – Mackenzie Wylie
- Newspaper Page One of the year – Honorable Mention – Michael Stolle
- Infographic of the year – Second Place – Phoebe Unterman
- News Story of the Year – Third Place – Logan Heley